Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Traffic School...

"No officer, I did not come to a complete stop at the stop sign back there. Yes I slowed down, yes I could have stopped, I was probably going .0002 miles an hour as I turned, but no I didn't fully stop." This was a three way stop mind you. There were no other cars around and I endangered no one. Nevertheless the laws the law.
Consequently I spent and hour and a half on Monday evening at traffic school. Quite honestly it wasn't that bad. The instructor was entertaining and we basically watched youtube videos the whole time.
This is what I learned:
-There are a lot of crazies on the road, and no matter what you do you can't always avoid them.
-You don't need to leave two car lengths between you and the car in front of you at a stop light (although a lot of people in Utah think you do)...but you should leave enough space to see the back wheels of the car in front of you hit the ground.
-Getting thrown from a car really stinks and usually does your body harm...wearing your seat belt is a good idea.
-Talking on the phone/eating/texting/or any any other distraction while your driving can be very dangerous. Starting next year if you're doing any of the above and get pulled over for a violation or accident it will result in an added major violation/ticket for careless driving being added to your record (but you still can't be pulled over for doing any of these things on their own).
-The average person's perception/reaction time is 1.5 seconds. Don't follow too closely or you won't give your self enough time to get out of the way if there's an accident in front of you.
-If you see an ambulance/police car/fire truck/or any other emergency vehicle behind you with it's lights on move out of the way! Pull off to the shoulder and let it pass. We watched a video taken from one of these vehicles and NO ONE moved, it was insane! They kept honking but everyone just kept driving like normal. It took the emergency vehicle almost 5 extra minutes to get to it's destination because nobody yielded to it. And the person it was going to didn't have an extra five minutes, it cost them their life. Can you believe it? Sad.

In high school my friends used to tell me I drove like a grandpa because I was so slow and by the book. It looks like I should revert to my old ways: full stops, no speeding, and patiently waiting for all the slow pedestrians/students to cross the street (living South of campus is a nightmare sometimes). Here's to me being a better driver, cheers!

9 comments:

janaya said...

ah, traffic school. between provo's and orem's, orem's was way better, even though it's longer ... so i've heard. :)

Vanessa said...

haha!!!! the joys of traffic school :)

Christina said...

wow. you learned a lot. i would probably fail the class completely it has been so long since I learned anything. Katey and Levi took drivers ed and I was llike "what"....haha

Kim said...

I have never had the privledge of going to traffic school. Getting caught for something so stupid is annoying though!! I am glad you have such a positive attitude about it... you are a better person than me!

MKS said...

Emilie!!

Thank you for your thoughtful card and Smart Cookie gift certificate. We love that place and are excited to use it! When do you move again?

Lauren Jayne said...

Okay first of all, no one ever stops at the stop sign. Second of all, the whole seeing the tires of the car in front of you on the ground is one thing that has stuck with me from good old driver's ed. I'm sure my reaction time is at least triple that, I'm so slow! Oh and I really hate how no one in this place gets out of the way for emergency vehicles.

Jenna and Drew said...

Drew says he feels for you... he had the same thing happen to him at a three way stop. He didn't like traffic school at all though! :)

Wiseguys said...

Chris had to take traffic school once and I think it was one of his favorite classes to take! His teacher was super funny and told them all the made up laws that aren't really true in Utah, like it isn't illegal to change lanes in an intersection.

MKS said...

Of course we will be doing the donut party! It is tradition!! We usually do it the Sunday before Halloween, but it might be a little earlier this year. I'll let you know for sure!