It all started Monday. I was walking back from the car to our apartment when I felt a little drop...I asked Mitch if he felt the sprinkle of rain. Of course not, there wasn't a cloud in sight. So if not rain, what else? Bird poop! Yep, right down my cheek. I guess I'm just glad it didn't get in my hair or on my lips. Great way to start the week.
Then Wednesday night my eyes started looking really red and irritated. (background info: Back in March I started seeing an Opthamologist and found out I have a semi-permanent eye infection that requires me to use some rather expensive eye drops. The drops have been irritating my eyes on and off so at first I didn't think too much of it.)
Upon waking Thursday morning I realized my right eye wasn't opening very far and I was having trouble seeing. Being too tired to register all this immediately I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I caught a glance of myself in the mirror and was shocked at my reflection. I really can't even describe to you what I looked like, but trust me, it was not good. The soft portion directly under my right eye was swollen immensly. It looked like I had a golf ball sticking out swelling up over my eye. The top lid of my left eye was equally swollen. This gave me an off balance look sorta reminding me of Quasimoto. I was so shocked I just started laughing, but that laughter quickly turned to fear. It was 6:30am and Mitch was already at work. I was all alone.
After many phone calls between doctors offices I realized that the earliest I could get in would be to go to the Urgent Care clinic at 8am. By 7:15am I couldn't stand to be alone so I called Mitch to see if he could come home. Sweet thing that he is he got off work immediately and I went to pick him up. You should have seen his face when he first saw me. Shock and awe. After comforting me with a big hug he said "Wow, can we take a picture of you when we get home?" Nice, huh? :o)
Seeing how this post is already getting too long I'll try to make the rest of the story short. We showed up at the Urgent Care a few minutes early and spoke to a nurse who advised we go straight to the Opthamologist rather then waste our time and money with a regular doctor. Finally at 11:45am I was able to get in with the specialist. Considering the severity of my allergic reaction he recommended I do nothing but ice my face and eyes and just wait it out. He was afraid to prescribe me any other medication fearing it would only worsen my reaction. So I opted to just take some Benadryl and try to sleep my problems away. That worked, but only for a few hours.
At around 6pm that evening (convenienly timed for when all doctors offices are closed) my eyes began to feel very swollen and watery. I decided to continue icing them to see if that would help but the pressure behind my eyes continued to increase. Mitch was able to give me a blessing which really helped calm my nerves and although I knew everything was going to be okay I was still quite uncomfortable.
By 7pm things became dramatically worse. The whites of my eyes began to swell enormously. It became difficult to look anywhere but straight ahead because my eyes were becoming too swollen to fit under my lids. More then anything it was just terrible looking. It didn't really hurt, it was just really annoying. Mitch did a great job of staying calm but every time he looked at me I could tell he was getting more and more worried. Finally after a call to our parents I decided I needed some medical attention. I've never been to the Emergency room before and I really hated the idea of going but this seemed to merit the need.
After an hour and a half I saw the doctor who said I had Allergic Conjunctivitis which basically means inflammation of the eyes caused by allergy. Not too specific, right? Luckily at that point I wasn't really looking for answers, I just wanted my eyes to be put back in my head. After a quick eye exam to be sure my vision wasn't being effected he sent me to the pharmacy with a prescription for anti-allergy eye drops. $145 later I had the drops in hand and was able to go home.
Finally after another trip to the opthamologist on Friday afternoon and another set of steroid eyedrops I am finally back to normal. Most of the facial swelling was gone by Saturday evening and today my eyes have only been slightly pink. Hooray! Now I just hope it stays this way. I think I'll still be clutching my face the minute I wake up to check for swelling for the next few days but that's okay. I don't think I've ever been so happy for a week to end!
Sunday, June 15, 2008
It's been quite the week...
Posted by
emilie s. d. p.
at
2:42 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
holy cow! so scary!! glad you're feeling better at least. so... do you think the bird poo had something to do with it? :)
please tell me you did take pics??!?! i want to see this! i'm glad you are okay-i was getting pretty scared there reading that for a bit! and if you need a good opthalmalogist (i.e. you don't like the one you already have), let me know. i LOVE mine (and he's sort of cute too!).
haha :) that's awesome! i love the bird poop part
Wow!! Sounds like fun...or not... I always get eye infections, maybe I have the same problem as you! I hope all is well now. And seriously, let us set something up...hmmm I haven't seen anyone in forever! Maybe a dinner or lunch date sometime?!
oh my heck emilie! how traumatic. glad it is back to normal. i'm a little confused though--your eyes were swelling or the skin around your eyes? you said you wanted your eyes to go back in your head? i would have been freaked out too!
At first just the skin around my eyes was swollen (my lids and under my eyes) but later the white part of my eye and my cornea started to swell up, it was really gross.
And Liz, yes I did let Mitch take some pictures, I figured I should be a good sport since he was still willing to look at me through all this, I thought about posting a few but couldn't do it...I still have my pride (and a little vanity too). Maybe I'll let you have a peek sometime :o)
Oh my gosh!!! How scary!! I think I would have been freaking out just a bit! I am glad that everything is okay now though!! Natalie was telling me about your trip to Hawaii and where you are going to be staying...I about fell out of my seat laughing when she told me that your dad booked the hotel for you guys. I guess you take a good deal when you see it! And by the way...WAY jealous!
Oh my goodness! I'm glad you survived the horrible week ... no bueno girlie! :) But, how cute is your hubby to come home from work to take care of you!
man, sorry emilie. that is so crazy. gald you're feeling better!
DOn't even worry about it Emilie ... i'm just glad your eye is better now. I'd love to see you, i work all this weekend but i'm usually home around 4:30 so anytime in the evening or i'll be off monday and tuesday all day. Just let me know ... i'd love to see you and catch up! :)
Emilie. That is one crazy story! I am glad it is all better now, or hopefully! PS. I am glad we are now blogging friends! :)
Woah, how crazy!! I'm glad everything's better!!
And I'm so glad we now have contact with you and Mitch! It'll be soooo much fun when you two move back to WA 'cause we'll be there and we can finally hang out & get to know you better! Hooray!
Have a happy day and say hi to Mitch for me!
Post a Comment