Mitch and I are headed off to Yellowstone next week for some good quality outdoor time. We're camping for 5 nights with my Dad and brother Jacob. We've planned a few really good dinner meals but I still have a feeling I'll be in the mood for some delicious snacks throughout the day.
To me the worst thing that can happen when your camping is hunger. I can deal with the bugs, dirt and rain, but don't let me get hungry or I can be a real complainer :o)
We'll be doing plenty of hikes and probably won't spend that much time at the campsite during the day so I need good treats that I can take with me without them melting or getting ruined. Any ideas?...
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Camping food you can't live without...
Posted by
emilie s. d. p.
at
1:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
You should definitely take cliff bars. They are yummy, filling, and specially designed to sustain energy during outdoors activities such as hiking and rock climbing. I may sound like a walking advertisement, but I assure you I am not being paid. Beef Jerky is a definite must also!
we went camping last month, and trail mix was a very good take-along snack. it's best to make your own so you get exactly the combo you like. my brother taught us a fun breakfast thing -- cinnamon rolls on a stick. you buy packaged cinnamon rolls, unroll them, wrap them around a stick (in a spiral going down the stick), and cook them over a camp fire. they were so fun and delicious! i hope you have fun!
First of all, that sounds so so fun. I hope you guys have the greatest time! Now let me think. I am totally with you on loving everything about camping except the hunger. Bagels seem to be filling, but kind of dry. Hmmm, Jonny and I always bring gushers (fruit snacks) on hikes. I like the beef jerky idea. Apples always taste good. Um, whatever you take, don't forget to bring some sweet things. There's nothing worse than being out in the wilderness with an unsatisfied sweet tooth!
Good luck. Make sure you tell us what food items you brought and enjoyed in your recap of the trip. This is good information!
This takes me back to girls camp days when we'd complain about the food and end up eating our own provided junk food the entire time! I hope you have fun! :)
Well, you know dad will probably bring the beef jerky and some chips, so you can count those in. I think you should definitely bring trail mix (make your own with extra m&m's so that you can pick them out when you have a sweet craving), apples, and maybe even oreos (chocolate without the melting part). Maybe put it all in single serve baggies so you can take a little with you at a time. Also check out my blog for some very fun updates!!!
Shawn and I go camping rarely, but when we do I like to make my own trail mix. I take chex cereal, pretzels, m&m's, golden grahams, peanuts and then I melt white chocolate over it and mix. But if you don't want it melting, on the back of the Chex cereal box -not the generic brand- there is a recipe for a spicy trail mix where you put worchestershire sauce and such. It is pretty good. Are you going to have some type of cooler with you on the hike in a back pack? If so go-gurts are also good. Morgan has a really good recipe for a "one pot dinner" if you are needing another meal...SUPER good! Or foil dinnners, and then for breakfast you can do muffins over the fire cooked in orange peels---kinda weird...but it is really good! Gosh, I didn't realize that I had so many ideas...maybe we will be going camping.......Or I will just camp in our back yard...I like that idea better!
What part of yellowstone are you camping in?! We're just an hour and a half away from there!! You guys should come visit. =)
I'm so the same way with camping...I have to have good things to snack on or I feel like I'm going to die. Lol. Fruit snacks or grapes are definitely a must. Yum. Quaker rice cakes are also good! I know, sounds too healthy to be good, but they have so many good flavors and taste amazing! (Caramel, white cheddar, peanut butter & chocolate chips...mmmm.) Or another good, fun snack is just your favorite cereal - just pour some into baggies and you're set!
I hope you guys have an absolute blast!! Let me know if you guys can stop by, that'd be soooo fun. =)
Okay so Jamie and I are quite the campers. I HAVE to have pringles the cheesy kind. Also Chex mix the original kind and then our new favorite it "Munchies" I know it sound a bit weird but it's a mix between pretzels, sun chips, Cheeto's and something else. But so dang good. Have fun camping!
oh fun! Um, I can't think of any good ideas (my brain doesn't work right now) but I am really jealous you get to go to Yellowstone. That should be a lot of fun! I've never been and always wanted to go. Yeah for fun family vacations and for weather that isn't so dang hot!
That pear above would be such a cool tattoo. I mean if I was into tattoos. But...it would be a cool design on someone
Post a Comment