Thursday, December 6, 2007

Why did I go to college?

This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Not only did I spend 4 1/2 years trying hard to maintain a high GPA but I spent thousands of dollars, working hard each summer just to spend it all in a matter of days for just one more semester.

So most of you know I graduated in April with a B.A. in History. Maybe your thinking that's my problem: Who gets a degree in History? Well just so you know, I loved my major. Granted, it's not very useful and I probably could have learned everything from just reading books in my spare time, but nonetheless I really did absolutely love my major.
That's not the point though...well maybe it is.
Despite the fact that I enjoyed almost every minute of my university experience I still find myself wondering if it was all worth it. I mean honestly, right now I'm sitting at my desk at American Family Insurance*, answering phones, making cold calls, and well yeah, that's about it. Doing absolutely nothing with my college degree.
So in light of these depressing facts I've decided to do some research and remember all the reasons why I ever went to college.

Here goes:
-I was able to take a lot of interesting classes that I would have missed out on otherwise (ex: ceramics, Islam and the gospel, Jewish history, what is art, etc).
-A college education gives you choices (okay I just read that somewhere but it sounded good).
-
A college education also gives you a good start in life by increasing your knowledge and skills.
-Education
helps increase your understanding of the world and your community, as well as grasp abstract concepts and theories.
-The more education you get the more likely it is you will always have a job.
-Every bit of education you get after high school increases the chances you'll earn good pay.
-
College provides opportunities for: Meeting new people, taking part in new activities to explore your interests, and....meet the man of my dreams (does that count).

Now I feel better :)
Don't worry- I've never really regretted getting my degree, even if I never end up using it directly.

*Just so you all know, American Family is a great company. Although my job is sometimes (most of the time) a bore, I still really enjoy the atmosphere, the agent I work for and recommend American Family to anyone looking for insurance.

3 comments:

Morgan said...

I love it! I was chuckling while I was reading...I have a friend that got her degree in history and she is a teacher...just an idea.

melody said...

I, for one, am VERY glad you went to college because I got to spend two of the years with your funny self. Thanks!

Lauren Jayne said...

From one relatively useless but incredibly fascinating major to another I must also remind you that whatever degree of intelligence we attain in this life we will take to the next. Also President Kimball said that children may never recover from the ignorance of their mother. So way to be wise and not ignorant!