Wednesday, August 8, 2007

My Crafty Side...

One of my amazing visiting teachers recently introduced me to the new world of crafts and homemade items. Although I don't plan on crocheting or doing needle point any time soon, this week I created a few fun crafty items: magnets and a magnet picture board. Now I know it doesn't sound that cool but you have to understand that I'm rarely able to make anything look cute on my own so this is a big feat. I would almost always rather buy something then worry about putting it together on my own but this was not only simple but way fun too!
I bought the picture board just as plain wood and then picked out a nice chocolate brown (Van Dyke brown to be specific) and painted it. I even went so far as to sand the corners down to give it a rustic look(see right).
Then I cut the metal backing (isn't it so cute with the diagonal checkers) and put it in. The next thing I bought was a bag of clear gem stones and a few sheets of cool patterned paper. After cutting out the holes (with a big hole bunch-courtesy of the before mentioned VT) I lamenated them with sticky paper and then stuck them to the gems, superglued magnets to the back and voila, personalized magnets.
We haven't yet found a place to hang my newly designed home decor but I'm so proud of it that I don't mind the fact that it just sits on the floor in the front room for all to see (and by all I basically just mean Mitch and myself). It was super easy, and now I can proudly hang things on my fridge without worry :o)
If this inspires you to dabble in a few crafts yourself then you will want to know that Roberts gives you 40% off one item of your choice every time you go in. Which means I bought all of this for just over $10. Not bad, huh?

5 comments:

{lizzythebotanist} said...

i started making these magnets years ago with origami paper before scrapbooking was in and there were all sorts of cute papers around. they are so cute and have endless possibilities! congrats on your newfound craftiness! there's nothing more satisfying, if you ask me.

melody said...

I love it! This would have been great in #116.

{lizzythebotanist} said...

p.s. you can make thumb tacks too! just use the smaller gems.

melody said...

Hey, what do you think about having a roommate get-together sometime in September? I always miss my roommates around the beginning of school. (And many other times throughout the year!)

Lauren Jayne said...

The blogosphere wants to hear about your trip to Washington!